Trieste’s Narodni Dom
A permanent exhibition devoted to the history of the Narodni Dom
The role of the Narodni Dom was to show the economic and cultural solidity of the Slovene community, but it was also a reference for Czechs, Croatians, Slovakians, Serbians and members of other communities living in the main port of the Habsburg Empire.
The objective of the project is to inform the students who every day enter the building in Via Filzi - but also the citizens of Trieste and the tourists that visit the city - about the history of the Narodni Dom, which today is home to the school for interpreters and translators of the University of Trieste. To this end, a permanent exhibition of photographs and informative materials has been set up in the entrance hall, illustrating the history and the transformation of the building, from multifunctional centre to University. Eight panels with the original plans by architect Max Fabiani, period photographs and art works, such as the reproduction of a painting by Vito Timmel and the testimony of writer Boris Pahor, who as a child witnessed the fire set by fascist extremists that on 13 July 1920 burnt down the Narodni Dom. The material on display, some of which published for the first time, comes from the archives of the History and Ethnography Section of the Slovene National and Study Library of Trieste, the Episcopal Gymnasium of Vipava (Slovenia) and private archives.
via Fabio Filzi 14
Follow us on
Follow us on