Things to do

Faro della Vittoria

(Vittoria Lighthouse)

The 70 metre Vittoria lighthouse stands on Gretta hill, 60 metres above the sea, on the foundations of the Austrian Fort Kressich, built in 1854.
Faro della Vittoria
It was designed by the architect Arduino Berlam and commissioned in 1927. As well as a guide for nocturnal navigation in the Gulf of Trieste, it is also serves as a monument commemorating sailors who died during the First World War, as witnessed by the inscription at its base: "Shine in memory of those who died at sea (MCMXV - MCMXVIII)".

The Trieste lighthouse is clad with stone slabs from the Karst and Istria, and surmounted by a dome housing the lantern, which has an average range of 30 miles.

Faro della Vittoria
Giovanni Mayer's copper statue, Winged Victory, stands on the dome, while below the lighthouse lies the anchor of the destroyer Audace, the first Italian ship to dock at the port of Trieste in 1918, giving its name to the Audace pier.
The entrance of the lighthouse contains two shells from the Austrian battleship Viribus Unitis.

The Vittoria lighthouse site offers a year-round breathtaking view of the Gulf of Trieste, particularly during the famous Barcolana regatta.

The interior of the lighthouse can be seen on weekends, but only up to the first terrace of the monumental structure.

Opening hours 2024
April, May, June and September:
Fridays from 3pm to 7pm;
Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.

July and August

Wednesday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Fridays from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.;
from 9 to 13 October non-stop 9.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. (Barcolana)

from the 1st to the 4th: non-stop 9.30 am - 4.30 pm

Special openings
30th and 31st March, 1st and 25 April, 1st May, 15 August, non-stop from 10.00 to 19.00

Faro della Vittoria
Strada del Friuli 141


phone +39 0481 91697

Follow us on